Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Grasses

Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
--Buddhist proverb


Loafe with me on the grass, loose the stop from your throat,
Not words, not music or rhyme I want, not custom or lecture, not even the best,
Only the lull I like, the hum of your valvèd voice.
--"Song of Myself," Walt Whitman

A child said What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;
How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.
--"Song of Myself," Walt Whitman



I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.
--"Song of Myself," Walt Whitman


Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so called scientific knowledge.

--Thomas Edison

The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.
--Henry Miller

No comments: